Author: Ingrid Katz (Pure Aesthetics)
Skin sensitivity comes in a variety of forms however, one consistent trait is redness.
Redness and sensitivity can be attributed to a number of skin conditions, namely; impaired barrier, dehydration, broken capillaries, unstable pH and then more severely; dermatitis, eczema or infection.
Redness has a knock on effect in the skin and will cause inflammation that will lead to a few and/or more of the above symptoms mentioned. Most importantly, a red and inflamed skin will age a lot faster. When a skin is in a crises mode, it will attend to the immediate concerns and thus the day to day functions will be compromised. It is therefore imperative that we immediately focus on treating any redness and inflammation.
Reducing inflammation in the skin, thereby calming its dramatic response action will assist in the following ways:
- Rebalance the pH which will enable normal and appropriate skin functioning
- Repair the barrier, resulting in the skin being able to lock in moisture and nutrients
- Allow collagen production to take place again, resulting in a plumper and more hydrated skin
- Reduce the appearance of redness, thereby aiding improvement in the strength of capillary walls
- Allow the skin to release dead skin cells more regularly which will result in a brighter appearance and a more receptive canvas
The above condition/s can be very successfully treated with a skin peel….believe it or not, the treatment will not worsen the sensitivity or redness, but only improve it! We recommend our Optiphi Glycolic or 30/30 peels or the Dermaceutic Milk Peel – all of which are Glycolic Acid based and therefore perfect for a sensitive or red skin.